Undergoing a tummy tuck, officially known as abdominoplasty, is popular for several reasons. Whether you have stubborn excess skin around your stomach because of extreme weight loss or post-pregnancy, a tummy tuck will help to tighten your skin, remove extra fat, and flatten your abdominal region. A major invasive surgery, a tummy tuck does leave a scar, however it can easily be covered with a bathing suit or undergarments. Fortunately, there are a few ways that you can reduce your scarring.
Tips To Reduce A Tummy Tuck Scar
- Follow doctor’s instructions: Your surgeon’s goal isn’t just to remove excess skin, but also to help you maximize your flattened stomach’s appearance. That means your surgeon cares about your scarring being minimal and well-hidden. Carefully follow your doctor’s instructions concerning recovery to ensure that your scar heals as best as it can.
- Closely monitor healing progress: As you follow your surgeon’s instructions, be sure to monitor your healing progress as well. Sometimes complications can arise, like lumps in your scar or unexpected bleeding and draining. Be sure to contact your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any abnormalities.
- Use scar reducing ointments: Many ointments and creams are designed to help aid the healing of scars and to reduce their visibility. Look for products that have Vitamin E for optimal results.
- Avoid sun exposure: As your scar heals, its coloring will partially depend on its exposure to sunlight. Do your best to keep your scar covered and wear sunscreen even under your clothing to protect your scar from exposure.
- Consider scar revision procedures: In some cases, scarring after a tummy tuck surgery is quite severe. Your surgeon may be able to offer you a scar revision procedure in which the scar is altered as much as possible to be less obvious after surrounding tissues have fully healed.
Are You Ready for a Tummy Tuck? Contact Dr. Charlotte Rhee
To learn more about abdominoplasty, scar revision, or any other procedures we offer, contact Dr. Rhee today. We are located in Huntington Station and can be reached directly at (631) 424-6707. We look forward to hearing from you soon