The American Society of Plastic Surgeons isn’t just the world’s largest plastic surgery specialty organization – it’s also a great way for patients to learn about exploring plastic surgery for the first time. Never short of tips or pointers, the ASPS covers several important topics for first-time patients. One of those is choosing the right plastic surgeon.
Borrowing from the ASPS, here are 5 Important Tips for Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon – along with our thoughts on the matter!
Look for a physician who …
- “Has been trained in the procedure(s) under consideration.” This tip highlights the importance of choosing a qualified cosmetic surgeon. While the task may seem daunting, here’s one tip that should help you breathe easier: only consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. These doctors have demonstrated plastic surgery knowledge and experience above and beyond regular medical school.
- “Will explain the procedure(s) thoroughly.” During your plastic surgery consultation, make sure you’re getting the facts. Seek a provider who is willing to take the time to explain your procedure thoroughly and completely. If you have questions, your consultation is the time to have them answered.
- “Has performed the operation many times.” Like any other profession, experience means everything. Make sure your provider has performed your procedure many times. If you want to get a sense of her past work, be sure to ask for photographs of past work.
- “Outlines the risks as well as the benefits.” Despite how it’s often portrayed in the media, plastic surgery is, in fact, surgery. With that comes a certain degree of risk. Make sure your physician is explaining not only the potential benefits of your procedure, but the potential complications and risks as well.
- “Describes a realistic outcome, not unbelievable results.” A good plastic surgeon will keep your goals realistic. Remember, when something sounds too good to be true, it often is!
Plastic Surgeon on Long Island
Think plastic surgery might be right for you? It’s time to take the first step – contact us and schedule a consultation today. Our Long Island plastic surgery offices are located in Huntington Station, and you can reach us directly at (631) 424-6707. We look forward to meeting you soon.