There are 4 main incision sites for breast augmentation surgery, with each having its own sets of benefits and risks. To follow is some information about different incision techniques that you can discuss with your board-certified plastic surgeon at your breast augmentation consultation.
Periareolar Incisions are made in the darker soft skin around the nipple.
Benefits of Periareolar Incisions:
- Incision site allows for direct visibility for the surgeon to create a pocket for the implant to be inserted. There is direct control over placement through this technique.
- The size and shape of the areola may be augmented during the same surgery.
Drawbacks of Periareolar Incisions:
- Can cause problems with breastfeeding after surgery
- Possible changes in nipple sensation
Inframammary Incisions are also called, “crease incisions.” This method places incisions under the breast fold where the breast meets the body.
Benefits of Inframammary Incisions:
- Most popular choice among plastic surgeons, therefore the most practiced method
- Associated with fewer breast feeding problems
- Best method for surgical control over positioning of implants
Downfalls of Inframammary Incisions:
- Scarring is more visible than other incision methods
Transaxillary Incisions are made in the folds of the armpits.
Benefits of a Transaxillary approach:
- Second most popular approach
- No visible scarring
- Endoscopic approach to surgery allows surgeon total visibility and control for unwanted bleeding
- Aside from normal risks of surgery, this incision site has relatively no drawbacks.
Transumbilical Incision is made through the belly button.
Benefits of Transumbilical Incisions:
- Scar is basically invisible
Cons for Transumbilical Incisions:
- Least popular incision site for breast augmentation
- Only saline implants may be used
- Precision is difficult, and complications can arise from distance between incision and implant location
Ask your plastic surgeon what method he or she uses most, and if that is the right incision type for your breast augmentation surgery.
Breast Augmentation on Long Island
Are you interested in learning more about breast augmentation? Contact us today! We are located in Huntington Station, Long Island, New York, and can be reached directly at 631.424.6707. We look forward to hearing from you soon!