Mommy Makeovers have become increasingly popular as a solution for women looking to restore and rejuvenate their bodies. But as the mommy makeover movement gains traction in our culture, so do the myths and misconceptions surrounding it.
As a result, it is imperative to address the misinformation that abounds, in order to empower women with the correct facts and knowledge to make an informed decision when it comes to their health and beauty.
In this blog, we’ll bust the most common myths related to Mommy Makeovers.
- I have to get everything done. The biggest misconception about the mommy makeover is that it is a cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all procedure involving a tummy tuck, liposuction, a breast lift and breast augmentation. Many women are surprised to learn that the mommy makeover does not refer to a single type of surgery, but rather a range of procedures designed to target specific conditions and areas of the body, with the shared goal of restoring a youthful body contour. A qualified surgeon will take a comprehensive approach to each mommy makeover, tailoring the procedures to meet the goals and desires of the individual patient.
- Surgery is a lazy substitute for diet and exercise. While body contouring surgery does help to smooth out the appearance of the body by tightening, smoothing and sometimes lifting the skin and muscles, it is not a weight loss solution. These surgeries address areas of the body that have sagging, loose skin or fat deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise. Most of the time, these changes are brought about by pregnancy and delivery. A mommy makeover is performed after mom has lost the pregnancy weight, and patients must be at a stable weight before they can undergo surgery. Of course, a balanced diet and regular exercise will not only keep patients healthy, but will help to maintain the results achieved by a mommy makeover.
- It’s just for moms. While these body contouring procedures have acquired the “mommy makeover” moniker due to their success at correcting the issues brought on by pregnancy and delivery, the truth is that a range of patients can benefit from body contouring. Patients who have undergone bariatric surgery or another significant fluctuation in weight are also strong candidates for these procedures.
- Recovery time is long and painful. A skilled, board-certified and experienced surgeon will do everything in their power to reduce discomfort, minimize risks and cut down on recovery time. Most women who undergo multiple procedures during their mommy makeover are back to their normal daily routines in just a few weeks.
- I’ll look “over done” and unnatural. Despite the prevalence of plastic surgery in our culture, the stigma still exists that multiple procedures produce unnatural results. With advances in technology and surgical techniques, cosmetic procedures are more natural-looking than ever. In the hands of a skilled plastic surgeon, women can achieve the subtle, natural body contour that they enjoyed prior to motherhood.
Mommy Makeover on Long Island
Are you interested in learning more about Mommy Makeover, Tummy Tuck or Liposuction procedures? Contact Dr. Rhee today! We are located in Huntington Station, Long Island, New York, and can be reached directly at 631.424.6707. We look forward to hearing from you soon!