Many women who have chosen to undergo breast augmentation are misinformed about the procedure and what it can realistically achieve for their body, lifestyle and mind. To follow is a look into the top five misconceptions about breast augmentation and the truth all prospective patients considering breast augmentation should know.
Top Six Myths About Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implants Look Fake. Although this can be true, it is not true of all breast augmentation procedures. In fact, breast implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes. A good board-certified plastic surgeon can assist patients in selecting the best size and shape for their body that will produce the most natural and aesthetically pleasing results.
- Recovery is Long and Painful. Although recovery and pain varies from woman to woman, often the recovery period lasts approximately four weeks. Most women consider the pain manageable, and it is controlled by prescription pain killers. Often the most troublesome part of recovery is that patients cannot lift heavy objects or work out during the initial recovery period. A surgical bra must be worn in the first few weeks following surgery to ensure optimal results and to assist the healing process.
- Breast Implants Are Oversized. This relates to the first myth. Breast augmentation surgery is customized to fit the desires of each individual patient.
- Breast Implants Last Forever. Most implant manufacturers recommend breast implants are replaced after 10 years. However, this is not the case for everyone. After breast augmentation it’s important to carefully monitor your implants to make sure they are remaining in the best shape and position.
- Breast Implants Look Great Immediately After Surgery. Following surgery, you’ll be swollen, slightly bruised and stiff. It takes a few weeks for the swelling to subside and the muscles to relax in your chest. This process helps the implants to “settle” into a more natural position. Initially, your implants will appear very high up on your chest. It’s important to give yourself some time to heal before you can really see the final results.
- Breast Augmentation Will Help me Achieve the Perfect Body. Breast augmentation will certainly enhance your silhouette, and even help clothes to fit better. However, breast augmentation is designed to improve upon what you already have, not entirely change it. It’s important to have realistic expectations of what breast augmentation can do for you.
Considering Breast Augmentation? Contact Dr. Rhee.
For more information about breast augmentation or any of the procedures we offer, contact Dr. Rhee. We are located in Huntington Station and can be reached directly at 631.424.6707. We look forward to hearing from you soon.