A recent study presented to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) found that patients in their 40s and patients 65 years and older share a relatively same rate for risk of plastic surgery complications. The differences in complication rates between the age groups was negligible in relation to all plastic surgery procedures, except for an increase in difference for the elderly group to experience a higher rate of complication with abdominoplasty than their younger counterparts.
The Study Suggested:
- That of the patients surveyed, those who chose a board-certified plastic surgeon shared relatively the same risk rate regardless of age group.
- The population of the United States is aging, and there is an increase in those 65 and older who wish to undergo surgical aesthetic enhancement.
- Post-op complications in those 65 and older occurred 1.94 percent of the time.
- Post-op complications in those in their 40s occurred 1.84 percent of the time.
- Patients 65 and older are more likely to undergo facial procedures than patients in their 40s.
- Patients in their 40s are more likely to undergo bodily procedures such as breast augmentation, breast reduction, breast lift, abdominoplasty, or a combination of procedures called a Mommy Makeover.
- The most common post-operative complications in elder patients were difficulty healing wounds, infection at the incision site, and hematoma.
Are You Over 65 and Interested in Plastic Surgery? Contact Dr. Rhee in Huntington Station today!
Dr. Charlotte Rhee is a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon proudly serving patients on Long Island. If you are interested in exploring plastic surgery for the first time, contact her offices to schedule an appointment. Dr. Rhee’s office is conveniently located in Huntington Station, and can be reached at (631) 424-6707.